Tuesday, 16 December 2014

nostalgic

I am nostalgic for my twenties (most of them, anyway; twenty and twenty-one were squandered at college; twenty-four was kind of a wash, too) but I can tell you for sure that they weren’t as great as I now crack them up to be. I was always broke, I was often lonely, and I had some really terrible clothes. But my life was shiny and unblemished. Everything was ahead of me. I walked around with an abiding feeling that, at any given time, anything could go in any direction. And it was often true. - Meghan Daum

7 comments:

silkpathdiary said...

Yep, I can identify with all that!

pao said...

yeah, yeah, yeah, youth is wasted on the young.

anexactinglife.com said...

Very evocative quote. I was always broke and lovesick. But flush with academic success.

Gam Kau said...

SilkP - me too!

Pao - truly.

ExactingL - it really is SO evocative for me. Brings me into my 20 year old skin.

Shelley said...

Can't say I'm nostalgic about my 20s - they were very hard work being married to a difficult man, working full time, going to night school and surviving on a few hours of sleep a night. Now, my 30s (also difficult, but night school paid off!) are another matter. I felt I could move mountains and I think I practically did. I'm just beginning to see the start of my aging process...pushing 60; but I'm still optimistic about the future I have left.

frugalscholar said...

Mr FS rescued me from my loneliness, but I was filled with anxieties about the future during my years in grad school. I still think of those years with horror.

Gam Kau said...

Shelley - I'm sure in my 20s I wouldn't have said I was happy, but simply nostalgia that reframes the memories. :)

FrugalS - I hope Mr. FS is aware of his kind rescue. :)

I usually am not that nostalgic for my younger years, but an old BF from my 20s was recently featured in the NYT and it brought up memories of my youth.