Tuesday, 5 August 2014

wisdom

Two close boyhood friends grow up and go their separate ways. One becomes a humble monk, the other a rich and powerful minister to the king. Years later they meet. As they catch up, the minister (in his fine robes) takes pity on the thin, shabby monk.
Seeking to help, he says: “You know, if you could learn to cater to the king you wouldn’t have to live on rice and beans.”
To which the monk replies: “If you could learn to live on rice and beans you wouldn’t have to cater to the king."
(I do not know who to attribute this to, I think I stumbled upon it in a blog -
if anyone knows who wrote this please let me know)

6 comments:

Yuko Jones | northfield gate said...

I like this. This is something I need to remind myself on a daily basis, so that I won't be making decisions based on money, possessions, and accolades! And I don't have any problem living on rice and beans :) Have a wonderful week! xx

Bmore Bungalow said...

This is so true. I struggle with this daily. Some days I am a rice and beans kinda girl, other days I crave filet mignon. I really admire those who are able to live simply.

Shelley said...

I read something similar in the Tightwad Gazette, but I don't remember that it was attributed to anyone. Next time I run across it I'll try to remember to check...

Gam Kau said...

It's hard to keep it in mind isn't it Yuko?

BB - I think we all struggle with this. It's human nature to seek comfort and abundance. Nothing wrong with it, but it's a good thing to think about once in a while. :)

Thanks Shelley. I can't recall where I stumbled upon it.

Frugal Scholar said...

When we returned from a meat-oriented trip to Serbia, we put on a big pot of beans. Ahhhh.

I see beans as the beginning of my frugal journey--what a gift from the universe!

Gam Kau said...

FS - beans really are a gift. So versatile! When I travel I miss oats and beans usually.